Sunday, January 24, 2010

“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence” Joseph Wood Krutch

Here It goes, my first 165 blog. In fact this is my first blog ever so I figure this is a good opportunity to contribute to a rapidly growing world of idea sharers. My thoughts on the course so far have been mostly an overall notion of excitement mixed with frustration. I'll start with the frustration since I am currently stuck on some questions in assignment one. With the course falling under the general umbrella of logic and reasoning you would think that there would be some logical flow to the reasoning behind the concepts in the course. Or at least what I thought was logical reasoning. It turns out that through years of practicing logic through the ambiguity of language what seems like logical reasoning can be quite far from it. It seems like the courses first goal is to break down the idea that In my head " I know what logical reasoning is, its common sense, I've been doing it my whole life". Well it turns out to be not so common and often to not make much sense. I admit what seems to be the first goal of the course is working on me. But as you know, old habits die hard, hence the frustration.

Moving on to the excitement, I took a pause from my everyday scrambling through the day trying to get my work done to take a pause and look at the power that lies behind the ideas of logic and reasoning. What I discovered a wonderful world I can't wait to start exploring. It just so happens that mathematical logic, although being the core of this course, is just one out of the many applications of logic. Logic spills over into fields such as Philosophical Logic, Formal and Informal Logic of Language, Inductive and Deductive Reasoning, Argumentation Theory and many many more.If jumping head first in to topics like that with a skill set enabling you to immerse yourself with the content doesn't excite you, your not on the same page as I am. With that said, I'm going back to work …. ;)




Thanks for reading

¬øThoughts


1 comment:

  1. I guess we don't abandon, but rather extend, common sense. Common sense is our distilled intuition (life experience). When we get some territory where our intuition hasn't developed completely, we need formal rules, logic. Then, after hammering on that for a while, we get intuition about the new area.

    ReplyDelete